4 REHEARSALS REMAINING IN THE 2022 SEASON
- Tomorrow's rehearsal schedule is listed above. This schedule is subject to change, should the need arise.
- The field conductor will conduct Avengers. All candidates for the 2023 field conductor position may practice conducting to this tune (behind the drumline) during the practices. Auditions are Thursday, October 13th.
- No rehearsal on Friday, October 7th. Enjoy your day off!
- PLAYING TEST: I need recordings of all winds over Be Thou My Vision by Wednesday, October 12th. This test will be completed outside of class. Use a smart phone to record yourself playing the chorale (eyes closed - it is memorized). Then, upload the video onto your rccu1 Google Drive. Once it has uploaded, share the file with me (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you don't have a way to do this at home, you may use one of the iPads before or after school. Color guard and drumline are exempt from this playing test.
- Would you like to march in the Casey, IL Christmas Parade on December 2nd? This would be the Honors Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, those within the drumline (even those not in band during the 2nd term), and the color guard. Vote HERE!
- LUNCH IN THE BAND ROOM: You are welcome to eat lunch in the music commons every day this week.
- SENIOR NIGHT: Seniors, please fill out the following form. This tells us how you would prefer to be announced, and who will be walking with you (parent, guardian, etc.). Click HERE for the form. Please complete this form by Thursday.
- BAND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS STARTING 2023-24: I wanted you folks to start thinking about this before registration begins for the following academic year. Starting August 2023, freshmen and sophomores will be require to enroll in at least one band for every term. There are four terms in a year. Any band will do! You may register for any combination of the following ensembles: marching band, Symphonic Band, Honors Wind Ensemble, and (the OTE class) jazz band. Juniors and seniors will not yet have a required number of terms in which they need to enroll in a year. However, to be eligible to enroll in the marching band, juniors and seniors must also enroll in at least two terms Symphonic Band, the Honors Wind Ensemble, or three terms of the Jazz Band. There are exceptions to this rule, such as for color guard and front ensemble. There is no requirement on joining the Symphonic Band or the Jazz Band. More on this later.
- HALLOWEEN PARADE TUNE: The Halloween song and theme is Avengers!
- BUS ASSIGNMENTS: You may find the bus/seating assignments HERE.
- PARENT/GUARDIAN PICK UP: Please message me on Remind if you plan on traveling home with a parent/guard.
- 2023 LEADERSHIP AUDITIONS: Are you interested in applying/auditioning for a leadership position for the 2023 season? We would love to have you! Please fill out the leadership application form HERE. Please log into your rccu1 account before clicking on the link. Auditions are next week!
- SAVE THE DATE! The Music Shoppe hosts an instrument Step-Up Night at RCHS. This event is open to all high school students across our area, beginning band to high school. For those that are looking for an intermediate or professional instrument to take you to the next level, this is your chance to try out several instruments at RCHS! See the bottom of this post for more details.
- 35th Annual EIU High School Honor Band Festival, which will take place on Saturday, December 10 in the beautiful Doudna Fine Arts Center on the EIU campus. Fifty-five to sixty-five of the best high school band students in Illinois and Indiana will enjoy a day of band rehearsals, a faculty showcase recital and a group warm-up led by our outstanding applied faculty. The day will culminate in a shared concert with the EIU Wind Symphony in EIU's world-class, Dvorak Concert Hall. Transportation is provided by the school. Please notify Mr. Jones if you plan on attending. Click this link for more information:
- EIU HONOR JAZZ COMBO DAY: This event takes place at Eastern Illinois University on Monday, November 7th. Click HERE for more information.
- EXCUSED ABSENCE REQUEST FORM: Should you need to miss an event due to illness, another school event, or a once-in-a-lifetime event, please fill out the following form. You must first log into your rccu1 account before clicking on the link. Make sure to review the RCHS Bands handbook on the website, and to contact Mr. Jones after completing the form. Click HERE to access the form.
- EFFINGHAM MARCHING HEARTS INVITATIONAL: On October 8th, 2022 from 8:30-10:30am. Clicking HERE for more information.
- RCHS vs NEWTON FOOTBALL GAME & 8TH GRADE BAND NIGHT: On October 14th, 2022, band students from RCMS and St. Joe are invited to perform with the RCHS Marching Tigers! Clicking HERE for more information.
- NEWTON MARCHING EAGLES BAND CLASSIC: On October 15th, 2022 from 10:00am-5:30pm. Clicking HERE for more information.
- FINAL PERFORMANCE: Click HERE for the Itinerary.
- DRIVERS NEEDED! We need back up drivers that are able to drive a 42 foot trailer. If you have a family member or a truck driver in the family, please encourage them to volunteer as a back up driver for the Marching Tigers. Mr. Deimel is our primary driver. Mr. Doan from the bus barn, is a back-up driver. However, if neither of them are available for a competition, we need someone to step in. Please have your family member email me at email@example.com if they are available. Family members may also call (618) 393-2191 ext. 3153.
- 2022-23 HONORS WIND ENSEMBLE: It's almost time! If you are interested in auditioning for the Honors Wind, please click HERE and fill out the following form. The Honor Wind Ensemble is the premiere instrumental ensemble at RCHS. This advanced level class is by audition only, and is designed to challenge the most experienced and talented musicians with RCHS. The audition music is over Time of Your Life and the ILMEA scales mm. 1-6.
- STUDENT LEADERSHIP: We will meet on Thursday, October 13th during lunch to discuss The Twin Thieves. Pizza is provided by Tri-M. Please read chapters 34-36, and the chapter on 11 Ways Great Leaders Build Great Teams. I would like to meet this Thursday during lunch during the 1st term. This will be our last meeting.
- SENIOR SONG: We are performing Beethoven & Wolfgang. We don't have a lot of time to prepare this tune. Please make sure to practice at home.
- Panther Marching Band Member for a Day, which will take place on Saturday, November 12. Participating students will spend an EIU home football gameday marching and playing along with the Panther Marching Band. This is a great way for students to get a feel for what it feels like to perform in a college marching band and to spend the day on the EIU campus. You need to provide your own transportation. Click this link for more information:
- EIU HIGH SCHOOL HONOR BAND FESTIVAL: This event takes place at Eastern Illinois University on Saturday, December 10th. Click HERE for more information.
- Missing items? Check the band's lost and found outside of the music office.
- Bring cash to competitions. Many competitions won't accept debit/credit cards.
- ILMEA AUDITION CUTS: ILMEA has narrowed the audition material. Visit https://ilmea.org/5auditions for more details.
- NO GUM! Just a reminder that gum is prohibited (in mouth or not) in the music department. I am aware that gum is allowed in the other parts of the school, and that the school handbook doesn't say anything about gum. However, gum can cause serious damage to an instrument (especially woodwinds). Also, I just scraped three pieces of gum off the band room floor.
- PERSONAL DAYS: Many of you performed at the 2022 Memorial Day Ceremony In Olney. Because that was not a grade, (it was in the summer) I awarded each of you 3.0 hours of personal time. Many of you also earned 1-2 hours of personal time for perfect (or near perfect) attendance for practices from July 25th to August 13th. You may use this personal time for any rehearsal. You may not use this time for performances, rehearsals before a performance, or for other classes. Click HERE to view your available personal time.
- COLOR GUARD: You were exempt from Tuesdays and Thursdays practices from 7-8am to compensate for the two hour evening rehearsals. Because your evening practices are now only 1.5 hours, I am modifying your schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You will still report to class at 8am on Tuesdays; however, from this point forward, you need to report on Thursdays at 7:30am. If a member of the color guard is not able to attend a portion, or all, of an evening rehearsal, that individual will make up your time between Tuesday from 7-8, and/or Thursday from 7-7:30.
- The music commons is available to use during lunch (except Thursdays)!
We have three birthday shout outs to throw today. We want to wish Dirks Weiler, Lakken Ralston, and Olivia Beal happy birthdays today. We have a few extended weekend birthdays to announce. Tomorrow, Jacob Slichenmyer will be celebrating a birthday. Saturday, happy birthday throws go out to Gavyn Cothern and Xander Holtz. On Monday, it’s Chloe Armstrong and Trey Kuenhold’s turn to blow out the candles.
- Today is the first annual tour day for seniors. We will begin boarding buses immediately after this block. This is a great opportunity to tour some local businesses. Please be on your best behavior as you are representing our school today.
- Congratulations to our STRIPES character winners for the month of September. The trait was service. Students who are recognized for this award will receive a t-shirt from the teacher who nominated them. Please wear your shirts Tuesday so we can announce your names and take a picture. The STRIPES character trait for October is trust.
- The Olney FFA Food Science Varsity team took home 1st place at the SIU Carbondale Food Science contest last night. Jorri VanDyke took 1st place individually as well. Congratulations on a job well done, way to represent One Tiger Nation!
- There is no school tomorrow or Monday due to a teacher’s institute and Columbus Day. Students, this is a great time to get your work caught up as the term ends next Friday.
- We want to wish Alex and Ayden Nealis best of luck as they are on the road to Bloomington this morning to compete in the two day state golf tournament. Also, best of luck to our Lady Tiger volleyball teams as they are on the road to Robinson tonight. Our gentlemen’s soccer squad is also on the road to Robinson as well. Good luck throws to our Tiger soccer team.
- On Saturday, we want to wish our Lady Tiger Tennis team best of luck as they will compete here at RCHS in the LIC tournament, and our Tiger football team will look to turn up the heat Saturday as they are on the road to Robinson.
Have a fantastic day today. Do what’s right, you are in control and remember, everyday is a great day when you are an Olney Tiger!!