TWO REHEARSALS REMAINING OF THE 2022 SEASON. MAKE THEM COUNT!
- Tomorrow's rehearsal schedule is listed above. This schedule is subject to change, should the need arise.
- BREAKFAST AT THE FIRST METHODIST CHURCH: The First Methodist Church has graciously offered to feed the RCHS Marching Tigers tomorrow at 7am at 335 Fair St. For those that would like a free meal, you may drive yourself, or your parents may drop you off at the church. RCHS Bands has reserved an activity bus to get students from the church to the high school. However, again, students must make their own arrangements to get to the church, should they wish to attend the breakfast. Thursday's rehearsal has been postponed until 7:30am in the band room. Please let Mr. Jones know if you are planning on attending the breakfast so that the First Methodist Church knows how much food to prepare.
- RADIOACTIVE IODINE PROCEDURE: Folks, I received word this morning from my Endocrinologist that, after two years, I am finally able to undergo radioactive iodine treatment to (hopefully) kill any remaining thyroid cancer cells that have gone undetected. I will be out of school Monday, Oct. 17th through Wednesday, October 26th. I will not take the radioactive iodine until Wednesday, but I have to travel to Springfield for the two Thyrogen shots and bloodwork on Monday and Tuesday. That means that I will be at the Final Performance, but not much beyond that. Honors Wind will not meet until October 31st. The Symphonic Band will be student-led, with the goal of learning the Fright Night, Veterans Day (ceremony & parade), and Christmas (parade) music. More on this tomorrow.
- HOMEWORK: Each of you has one more written assignment before the end of the term. Pick at least two judges tapes and fill out the following AAR form. You may find the judges recordings HERE. The AAR form may be found under www.rccu1.schoology.com.
- 2022 MARCHING TIGERS VIDEO!
- 2023 LEADERSHIP AUDITIONS: The FIELD CONDUCTOR AUDITIONS will include directing Avengers! Please see Jozalyn & Emma to record the speeches. Auditions are tomorrow, October 13th. SECTION LEADER AUDITIONS are on SmartMusic. To complete the ILMEA scales (mm. 1-6) of the audition, simply log into your SmartMusic account. The test is ready for you. CAPTAIN AUDITIONS will be recorded (both the speeches and the execution of verbal commands. Please see Jozalyn & Emma for more details. All video recordings (not including SmartMusic) will be made available to the band so that current freshman, sophomores, and juniors may cast their votes on the intraweb. Sorry, seniors.
- PLAYING TEST: We are running out of rehearsals. For this reason, I am cancelling the playing test over Be Thou My Vision
- FINAL EXAM: Your final exam will be the average of all of the playing tests that you completed this term.
- CHRISTMAS PARADE IN CASEY, IL: You cast your votes, and the results are a land-slide! 90% of you voted to march in the Casey Christmas Parade on Friday, December 2nd. I have added the performance to our calendar. Those that are not in band during that term may join us, provided that you practice the music on your own. Stay tuned for more details!
- LUNCH IN THE BAND ROOM: Unfortunately, the band room is not open this week during lunch, except for Thursdays for the leadership-counsel meeting. The band room will be available again next week.
- SENIOR NIGHT & SENIOR SONG: I submitted the form to Mr. Music & to Mrs. Rodgers. Seventeen of you submitted the form. If you did not enter your name and who (whom?) is walking you down the track on Friday night, please talk to Mr. Music or Mrs. Rodgers. We are performing Avengers! We don't have a lot of time to prepare this tune. Please make sure to practice at home.
- HALLOWEEN PARADE TUNE: The Halloween song and theme is Avengers! However, some of you would prefer to perform another Halloween tune. Avengers! will be the senior song; however, I am open to changing the Halloween song to another that we have in the library. We will learn all of them for Fright Night.
- PARENT/GUARDIAN PICK UP: Please message me on Remind if you plan on traveling home with a parent/guard.
- SAVE THE DATE! The Music Shoppe hosts an instrument Step-Up Night at RCHS. This event is open to all high school students across our area, beginning band to high school. For those that are looking for an intermediate or professional instrument to take you to the next level, this is your chance to try out several instruments at RCHS! See the bottom of this post for more details.
- EIU HONOR JAZZ COMBO DAY: This event takes place at Eastern Illinois University on Monday, November 7th. Click HERE for more information.
- RCHS vs NEWTON FOOTBALL GAME & 8TH GRADE BAND NIGHT: On October 14th, 2022, band students from RCMS and St. Joe are invited to perform with the RCHS Marching Tigers! Clicking HERE for more information.
- NEWTON MARCHING EAGLES BAND CLASSIC: On October 15th, 2022 from 10:00am-5:30pm. Clicking HERE for more information.
- FINAL PERFORMANCE: Click HERE for the Itinerary.
- 2022-23 HONORS WIND ENSEMBLE: It's almost time! If you are interested in auditioning for the Honors Wind, please click HERE and fill out the following form. The Honor Wind Ensemble is the premiere instrumental ensemble at RCHS. This advanced level class is by audition only, and is designed to challenge the most experienced and talented musicians with RCHS. The audition music is over Time of Your Life and the ILMEA scales mm. 1-6.
- STUDENT LEADERSHIP: We will meet on Thursday, October 13th during lunch to discuss The Twin Thieves. Pizza is provided by Tri-M. Please read chapters 34-36, and the chapter on 11 Ways Great Leaders Build Great Teams. I would like to meet this Thursday during lunch during the 1st term. This will be our last meeting.
- Panther Marching Band Member for a Day, which will take place on Saturday, November 12. Participating students will spend an EIU home football gameday marching and playing along with the Panther Marching Band. This is a great way for students to get a feel for what it feels like to perform in a college marching band and to spend the day on the EIU campus. You need to provide your own transportation. Click this link for more information:
- EIU HIGH SCHOOL HONOR BAND FESTIVAL: This event takes place at Eastern Illinois University on Saturday, December 10th. Click HERE for more information.
- Missing items? Check the band's lost and found outside of the music office.
- PERSONAL DAYS: Many of you performed at the 2022 Memorial Day Ceremony In Olney. Because that was not a grade, (it was in the summer) I awarded each of you 3.0 hours of personal time. Many of you also earned 1-2 hours of personal time for perfect (or near perfect) attendance for practices from July 25th to August 13th. You may use this personal time for any rehearsal. You may not use this time for performances, rehearsals before a performance, or for other classes. Click HERE to view your available personal time.
- EXCUSED ABSENCE REQUEST FORM: Should you need to miss an event due to illness, another school event, or a once-in-a-lifetime event, please fill out the following form. You must first log into your rccu1 account before clicking on the link. Make sure to review the RCHS Bands handbook on the website, and to contact Mr. Jones after completing the form. Click HERE to access the form.
- DRIVERS NEEDED! We need back up drivers that are able to drive a 42 foot trailer. If you have a family member or a truck driver in the family, please encourage them to volunteer as a back up driver for the Marching Tigers. Mr. Deimel is our primary driver. Mr. Doan from the bus barn, is a back-up driver. However, if neither of them are available for a competition, we need someone to step in. Please have your family member email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if they are available. Family members may also call (618) 393-2191 ext. 3153.
- 35th Annual EIU High School Honor Band Festival, which will take place on Saturday, December 10 in the beautiful Doudna Fine Arts Center on the EIU campus. Fifty-five to sixty-five of the best high school band students in Illinois and Indiana will enjoy a day of band rehearsals, a faculty showcase recital and a group warm-up led by our outstanding applied faculty. The day will culminate in a shared concert with the EIU Wind Symphony in EIU's world-class, Dvorak Concert Hall. Transportation is provided by the school. Please notify Mr. Jones if you plan on attending. Click this link for more information:
We have one birthday shout out to throw today. We want to wish Shamus Shick a very happy birthday today.
- Students, the first term comes to an end Friday - this Friday! Please take some time to check in on your missing work. Friday will be a 3:00 dismissal day.
- Coming this Saturday, the Olney FFA will be hosting their annual Hayride & Bonfire night. There will be food, drinks, a corn hole tournament, basketball, and more fun activities. Sign-up sheets are posted in the ag rooms!
- Any student that is wanting to be on the scholar bowl team this year needs to see or email Mr. Dunn by this Friday. He needs your Shirt size and has a schedule to give to you..
- We have two LIC champions in our school today. Tiger roars go out to Holden Hough and Tatum David this morning. They both placed first in the conference cross country meet yesterday. The Lady Tiger runners captured third place overall as a team. Mackenzi Thomas came in 11th place, Briley Kocher finished in 16th place, Karlee Piercefield came in 17th place, and Danielle Clodfelter finished in 18th place. On the gentlemen’s side, Trenton Payne came in 22nd place, Kaydn Cooley finished in 24th place, and Ruger Stevens came in 39th place. Well done runners, way to represent OTN!
- Here are some words of wisdom for this Wednesday: Always remember, the closer you get to realizing a dream, goal or a breakthrough the greater the resistance becomes. Don't stop! It's just a test. Finish the job, complete the mission.
One School - One Mission - One Tiger Nation