SEPTEMBER 20, 2023..........ILMEA Audition Prep Day on the campus of Eastern IL Univ.
3 REHEARSALS REMAINING = SEPTEMBER 23, 2023..........Marching Maroons Band Festival in Robinson
8 REHEARSALS REMAINING = SEPTEMBER 29, 2023..........Home Varsity Football Game (RCHS stadium)
8 REHEARSALS REMAINING = SEPTEMBER 30, 2023..........Panther Marching Band Festival at EIU in Charleston
OCTOBER 4, 2023..........ILMEA Auditions (Required participation for Tri-M members)
13 REHEARSALS REMAINING= OCTOBER 6, 2023..........Homecoming & Home Varsity Football Game (RCHS stadium)
14 REHEARSALS REMAINING= OCTOBER 7, 2023..........Newton Marching Eagles Band Classic in Newton
17 REHEARSALS REMAINING = OCTOBER 17, 2023..........Final Performance at 7 PM (RCHS stadium)
7:00-7:59......INDOOR REHEARSAL (flip folders, pencils, and tuners needed):
- Warm-up on Long Tones and Scale/Flexibility #1.
- Refine intonation tendencies over concert E-flat, F (1st and 4th movements), and A-flat (3rd movement) major scales, as well as g harmonic minor (3rd movement).
- Rehearse Good Night, Sleep Tight, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Dream On, and I Dreamed A Dream
8:00-9:00......Run sets 1-20a. Quickly review sets 13-26a. Learn sets 26a-31
Rehearse show music (primary focus)
Improve intonation (primary focus)
Clean sets 1-26a
Learn sets 26a-31 (primary focus)
- HONORS WIND ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS: Auditions are open! Winds, log into your SmartMusic accounts. Your audition is over a portion of the Sr. ILMEA Scales. Percussion, your audition may be over one of two things: 1) ILMEA Scales like the winds; or 2) the 2023 ILMEA Band Auditions on snare drum and mallets
- MUSIC DEPARTMENT DOORS: The doors lock at 11:30 a.m. sharp this morning! Immediately after the 11:20 a.m. bell, please go straight to the music commons to collect your instrument and music, so that you may practice tonight. Nine RCHS Bands students and I depart for Charleston, IL today at 11:30 a.m., which is why the doors lock at that time.
- LOOKING FORWARD: Friday's and Saturday's rehearsals, we shall focus on marching, and playing, the first three movements (I Dreamed a Dream, Dream On, and The Nightmare Before Christmas). We will discuss how to get on and off the field at Robinson. So that we may be as successful as possible, please look at the next bullet point. Everyone needs to be on the field Friday, including the front ensemble, starting at 7 a.m. Saturday, we are focusing solely on the drill, which means no instruments. Let's go into the end of the week strong, Marching Tigers!
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT HOMEWORK: Please review your show music. You need to have I Dreamed a Dream, Dream On, and The Nightmare Before Christmas completely memorized. You should be close to memorizing all of Good Night, Sleep Tight!, if it isn't already memorized. On your own, go through (with a tuner) the following scales at home: E-flat, F (1st and 4th movements), and A-flat (3rd movement) major scales, as well as g harmonic minor (3rd movement)
- TRUCK NEEDED: Would anyone be able and willing to bring a truck to Saturday morning's rehearsal? I would like to remove the limbs we cut down behind the tower, and take them to the burn brush. The burn brush opens at 10 a.m. If a parent is willing to help, even better!
- 2023 SAGE CITY JUDGES COMMENTS: The judges comments and the Effingham Red Regiment, Newton Marching Eagles, and our very own Richland County Marching Tigers may be found under Schoology.
- OTA BAND PASSES: Once your OTA teacher reviews your grades, you've completed your IXL Math and ELA assignments, and you've finished your assignments, you may fill in a pass to go to the Music Department during OTA. To fill out the pass, click HERE. Students need to sign into their rccu1 account before clicking on the link.
- -OLD- BUS ASSIGNMENTS FOR 9/16, 9/23, AND 10/7: Click HERE to view.
- -NEW- SIGN UP FOR YOUR BUS/SEAT ASSIGNMENTS FOR 9/30 (EIU): Click HERE to add your name to the seating chart. The early bus and van returns at to RCHS at 6:30 pm. The late bus returns to RCHS at 9:30 pm. There is a late bus so that students may see the big bands (100+ marchers) perform.
- OLNEY FALL FUN FESTIVAL: I regret to say that the RCHS Marching Tigers will not perform at the 2023 Olney Fall Fun Festival. Unfortunately, the band has been scheduled to perform at an earlier time at Eastern IL. University than we have in prior years. Due to this conflict, we are unable to perform at the Olney City Park event. The high school choir, however, will perform at 8:30 a.m., before we depart to Charleston. We simply could not fit a performance from the band and choir without the band being late to EIU.
- 2022-23 HONORS WIND CHAMBER ENSEMBLE: Last call! If you are interested in auditioning for the Honors Wind, please click HERE and fill out the following form. The Honor Wind is the premiere instrumental ensemble at RCHS. This advanced level class is by audition only, and is designed to challenge the most experienced and talented musicians with RCHS. The Honors Wind Ensemble is limited to only 15 musicians this year.
- AVAILABLE SEATS FOR PARENTS: Ladies and gents, for those that wish to attend the upcoming competitions, we have available seating in the passenger van! We can comfortably fit six additional passengers. We could possibly cram two or three more, if need be. Preference goes to the members of the Olney Music Boosters. You need not report until 10-15 minutes before departure. Email me at email@example.com, or message me on the RCCU1 app, should you like a seat! Seats are first-come, first-serve for all not in the boosters.
- ILMEA AUDITION PREP DAY AT EIU: The clinic is scheduled for Wednesday, September 20, 2023 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. We will depart RCHS at around 11:15 a.m. to allow time for lunch and the drive to Charleston, IL. We will return at 5:00 p.m. Seven people are attending the trip to EIU. Those people are Jereme Higginbotham, Emma Wells, Evey Mason, Ethan Zuber, Aidan Gomez, Conner Akers, Ethan Mehl, Callista Ridgely, and Addison Ridgely. If you are auditioning for band or orchestra, you my print the music by clicking HERE. See the bottom of this message for more details. Click HERE for details that were emailed to all students participating in this event.
- MARCHING MAROONS BAND FESTIVAL ON 9/23: Click HERE for more information.
- EIU PANTHER MARCHING BAND FESTIVAL ON 9/30: Click HERE for more information. -UPDATED 9/20 WITH REVISED WARM-UP AND PERFORMANCE TIMES AT EIU-
- MARCHING EAGLES BAND CLASSIC ON 10/7: This is our last competition of the season! It also is a short day for the band. Please click HERE for more information.
- LEADERSHIP COUNCIL: Our weekly leadership council lunch/book chat is tomorrow. The assigned readings are chapters 21-28.
- UPCOMING BIRTHDAYS: NALEIGHA HARRISON (9/22).
- HANDBOOK CONFORMATION FORMS: Missing forms from Emily Roth.
- INTONATION ON SCALES: Refine intonation tendencies over concert E-flat, F (1st and 4th movements), and A-flat (3rd movement) major scales, as well as g harmonic minor (3rd movement). It would benefit the band greatly if all winds would practice the scales with a tuner at home before rehearsals. The more in-tune we are, the better we will blend, and the louder we will sound.
- TEAMS/SHOPS: Thanks to those that stepped up to lead our RCHS Bands Teams. The new teams/shops are:
- FACILITIES: Emma Wells, with help from Cory, Emma M., and Emily R.
- SUPPLY: Aidan Gomez, with help from Ethan M. and Callista
- UNIFORMS: Ethan Zuber, with help from Addison and Carly H.
- MUSIC LIBRARY: Evey Mason, with help from Liam and James B.
- BOOSTER HELPERS: Molly Fehrenbacher, with help from Carly Z., Alex, and Wyatt
- PERSONAL INSTRUMENT INFORMATION FORM: Please fill out the personal instrument information form so that we may best protect your personal property by clicking HERE. You need to be logged into your @rccu1.net account on your browser before opening.
- TUNERS, INSIDE THE CIRCLE, AND MUSIC: Winds and percussion need all of these items for every Tuesday and Thursday rehearsal - even when outside. Please keep your tuner on your instrument so it isn't lost. You do not need these items on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, or Saturdays unless Mr. Jones says otherwise.
- SHOW MUSIC, COORDINATES, & DRILL CHARTS: These items may be printed by visiting https://www.rchsbands.net/show-music--drill1.html
- CONFLICTS: Do you have a conflict with a marching band event? Log into your rccu1.net account, and click HERE to fill out the form. Most common conflicts are vacations, drivers education, summer camps, athletics, and other clubs. After filling out the form, please message Mr. Jones to give him a heads up. Review the RCHS Bands Handbook to determine what is considered an excused absence.
- 2023 MARCHING TIGERS PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE: Clicking HERE for more information.
- PERSONAL HOURS EARNED: Click HERE for the spreadsheet on personal hours. Students that go into the negative for RCHS Bands personal hours will no longer be eligible to earn personal hours to use for a band class.
- Today is picture day. We will call students down to Auxiliary Gym in alphabetical order by class so please listen to the PA announcements throughout the morning. We will start with the Freshmen class. PE classes should report to Ron Herrin Gym today.
- We are running a 12:00 dismissal schedule today. A grab and go lunch will be available after 4th block today. There is no OTA or OTE today.
- Sign ups for pep club president and vice president will be posted on the auxiliary gym door until next Tuesday, September 26th.
- There are permission slips in the office for any junior or senior boy that wishes to participate in the volleyball game during Homecoming week. You must have your slip turned in before you can play. Please sign up in the office. Please contact Savannah Cycholl or Ally Lynch if you have any questions.
- The RCHS Marching Tiger Band Drumline and Front Ensemble would like to invite you to their annual fundraiser/concert this Friday night at the circle drive bus lane from 5:00 to 6:30. We are having a free-will donation bake sale and are also taking orders for "FAN" t-shirts. The t-shirts will be $20 with the orders and money due by Wednesday, September 27th. Orders and money can be given to Mr. Vaal in Room 120. So come out this Friday night to the free event, enjoy the music, and have fun with RCHS Drumline and Front Ensemble. If you have any questions, just ask Mr. Vaal or any Drumline/Front Ensemble member.
- Travel Club is back at it again! If you still want to travel next summer it is not too late! We are going to have an informational meeting next Monday, September 25th on our 2024 Trip to Puerto Rico. If you are interested, come and bring a parent and we will give you all the info you need to sign up and travel with us. The meeting will be at 6:00pm and will last about 45 minutes! See you then!
- Tiger shout outs go to Karolyn Waters and Jordan Albin. They are the Artists of the Week. You can see an example of their artwork on the OTN TVs this week.
- Tiger good luck wishes go out to our Tiger and Lady Tiger golf squads as they compete in the LIC tourney this morning.
- Here are your words of wisdom for this Wednesday: Today we are going with
1) Happiness is an inside job. Don't expect other people or things to make you happy.
2) Don't chase success. Decide to make a difference and success will find you.
3) Abundance flows into your life when gratitude flows out of your heart.
Have a great day today. You are in control of your actions, do what’s right - make today 1% better than yesterday, and remember everyday is a great day when you are an Olney Tiger!!